Lunamaria's Testbed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  IRC Chat  

Anime and Manga

Go down 
+2
Lunamaria
liubei013
6 posters
AuthorMessage
liubei013

liubei013

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 am

Pretty self-explanatory. A separate thread to discuss anything anime and manga related. Smile

-----

Might as well start with my impressions of stuff I'm watching:

Shiki - an interesting mystery horror show, which I'm assuming will change focus to different characters as the number of mysterious deaths begin to accumulate. (I heard of comparisons to Higurashi, but I never watched that)

Sengoku BASARA 2 - It's more Basara. Outlandish characters and hot-blooded combat. 'Nuff said.

K-On!! - More about the girls in the Light Music club and their shinanigans. ('cept that this is a full 24-ish ep series)

Occult Academy - this is a fairly interesting supernatural series, with a strong female lead, and of course, numerous occult references (esp. Nostradamus). It's got a good blend of intrigue and humor.

GaoGaiGar FINAL - this is an 8 ep OVA, which takes place a few years after the original series. It has more super-robots and of course, more super-villains in which the GGG team must overcome. Manly tears...

Cat Shit One - Well, uh, think Modern Warfare. With animals. Yeah. CG's nice.
Back to top Go down
Lunamaria
Admin
Lunamaria

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 2:11 am

Well with the main site down I have had much more time to watch subs than normal,

I've ripped through the To Aru Mangas up to chapter 33 each which is all I can find right now as well as finishing the Anime seasons so far. Not the best series ever so far but its pretty entertaining and I think the next series should be very good, worth watching to join the new RP at least, ;p

I've gotten through Pumpkin Scissors, which was very good and a lot of fun. Just my sort of setting, something I'd run into the Steam Punk RP in the future.

Angle Beats! is another I've gotten through and I'd recommend.

And Highschool of the Dead, has a new episode for me to watch today and I'll let you know about that later.

Back to top Go down
Alistair

Alistair

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:10 am

Well, I'm not currently watching anything, though I do have a list of things to watch, but right now I'll mention the two that i finished just a little while ago

The first was Angel Beats! and I have to say....it's definately up there in my list and it just seems there's a perfect blend of everything in this one, humour, combat (though it takes a backseat later on) and well, the emotion is just...POWERFUL T_T

the second one I watched was Gantz, and well, it was shocking to say the least, definately for the squeamish and in the end, I thought it was a little lacking, though i hear the Manga is way better, especially since it's still going. Didn't technically 'finish' the entire series, as the last episode were...*shudder* filler...

And this last one i watched a long while back but it's one of my favourites. Persona: Trinity Soul, a continuation, though non-canon, of the Persona 3 game, set ten years after. I suppose I liked this one so much because I've PLAYED persona 3, but I think that if you went into it with minimal knowledge of the premise you'd still enjoy it, considering it's a largely independent story for a continuation.

As for my list of to watch: I've got Vandread, Eden of the East, and since i have the feeling i'll be killed if i dont, Cowboy Bebop (yeah, I haven't watched it yet >.>)
Back to top Go down
kct

kct

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:39 am

Seitokai Yakuindomo. That's all so far for me.
Back to top Go down
Techi Zinphio

Techi Zinphio

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:00 am

Finally finished Sengoku Basara season 1, probably going to watch Darker than Black & Angel Beats in between episodes.

Not sure what else to watch.
Back to top Go down
liubei013

liubei013

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 7:20 am

I wonder why we didn't have a discussion like this over at AD...
(And do we have spoiler tags? o.o )

@Pumpkin Scissors: Yeah, that was a really good series. About the only gripe I had was the ending or should I say, a lack of one.

@Angel Beats: This was a great watch overall (though I thought things kinda went downhill briefly during a portion of the latter half) but it could have been better with a full 24-26 ep season, imo.

@Persona: Heh, I seem to diverge from majority opinion. I thought it was interesting but I felt the latter third kinda killed off the buildup it was going for. At least, that's what I felt. (I played a majority of the game too, with expectations, though it was pulled off rather well for non-Persona fans)

@Cowbow Bebop: It was okay. I personally didn't feel it deserved all the 1337 hype, though.

@DTB: Decent series, though the second season didn't have quite the same feel.

@topic: I forgot to mention that I've been watching Fang of the Sun: Dougram, a classic 'real' mecha from the same era (80's yo) with the likes of Armored Troopers VOTOMS. It's a pretty good watch (lowly insurgents with one mech versus an Earth Federation) so far, for an oldie.

@Techi: Perhaps we could give recommendations based on your preferences? Smile
Back to top Go down
Techi Zinphio

Techi Zinphio

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Spoiler:

As for preferences, there isn't much I don't like, but I can't really remember what exactly they were.
So suggest on a whim and I'll have a look.
Back to top Go down
liubei013

liubei013

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 am

@spoiler:

Spoiler:

@Recommendations: Well, there are already a number of series mentioned, some of which are part of this current season (e.g. Shiki, Occult Academy, BASARA 2. etc.).

As for some other recent stuff...

Durarara - Takes place in Ikebukuro with numerous quirky characters and the story unfolding in a Pulp Fiction-esque style. Definitely recommended.

Heroman - straightforward high-flying Hero-comic style show (concept courtesy of Stan Lee).

Some slightly older stuff:

Seto no Hanayome ('My Bride is a Mermaid') - despite the title, this was (imo) one of the best comedy series I've seen. (Last I checked, Hulu had this streaming, subbed)

To Aru Majutsu no Index (and its spin-off series, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun)
Back to top Go down
DarkLight

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 am

[quote="liubei013"]I wonder why we didn't have a discussion like this over at AD...[/quote]

I don't remember not having a discussion like these... Didn't we had the one like these? I don't remember the title if the thread though... but I'm pretty sure it is much like this thread.
Back to top Go down
liubei013

liubei013

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 am

We did. "Current Anime Season" was the thread name. But that thread was (like many others) pretty much dead, despite a few attempts at bumping it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anime and Manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime and Manga   Anime and Manga Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anime and Manga
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lunamaria's Testbed :: Chat :: Open chat-
Jump to: